Manage episode 317018976 series 151259
Dieter Bohn joins the show to talk about his excellent new documentary, Springboard: The Secret History of the First Real Smartphone -- a history of Handspring and the creators of the original PalmPilot.
- Squarespace: Make your next move. Use code talkshow for 10% off your first order.
- Hello Fresh: America’s #1 meal kit.
- Earnest: Freedom of choice meets student loans.
- “Springboard: The Secret History of the First Real Smartphone” — the full 30-minute documentary.
- (That same link has Dieter’s bonus material, too, including his corrected version of Ed Colligan’s infamous December 2006 quip about the then-imminent iPhone.)
- “The Zen of Palm” (PDF) — Palm’s HIG and design philosophy.
- Palm OS’s Graffiti handwriting system, including an illustrated cheatsheet of the gestures.
- PalmOS devices:
- The Palm Pre — Palm’s answer to the iPhone in 2009.
- TreoCentral and VisorCentral — both sites long defunct, but still available online.
- BlackBerry-esque prototype Android devices from before Google saw the iPhone.
- HTC’s G1 — The first commercial Android phone (a real turd).
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.