Legalization: A Poison Pill Pt.1
Manage episode 294571029 series 2928557
Today, with recreational states like California failing to keep their regulatory standards consistent and stable, companies in the industry stand to loose thousands of dollars in an attempt to be compliant. So, what do we expect legalization on a national level to be like? Certainly not any better.
Everybody seems to want legalization on a federal level. It’s a hot topic in the industry, especially with a new democratic president and the aftermath of COVID-19 slowly starting to show it’s face. But what are the impending consequences of legalization? Who will be the ones most drastically effected? Will it effect cannabis culture and the people within it?
My good friend and experienced advocate, Brad Slaughter of Nature’s Secret Holdings, joins us on today’s episode to answer these questions as we discuss the victims of cannabis legalization and how it’ll change the industry in its entirety. Check it out, and see if you’ve thought of these ramifications of legalization.
Did you change your mind on national legalization throughout the episode? Do you have any questions? If so, let me know in the comments below!
3 Lessons Learned:
- Read the fine print of legislature being pushed in your state – I guarantee it’s not as great as it sounds.
- The cannabis industry is not a meritocracy. Especially once national legalization comes around.
- Question the motives of CEO’s who are preaching for national legalization - are they doing this for the consumer’s best interest, or is it for their pockets?
- 40/58 counties in California have banned commercial sales of cannabis. What makes us think national legalization would be any different?
List of Topics/subjects discussed:
- How national legalization will lead to globalization.
- What’s going to happen to the culture of the industry.
- The history of cannabis legalization in the past, specifically in California.
- The constant regulatory and compliance changes that cannabis companies have to endure.
- The BCC and how it regulates under state control.
- Acreage Holdings and Canopy Growth’s rumored buyout post-legalization
- Big corporations advocating against home grow
- Dosage of edibles before and after regulations in California
- The difference between legalization and de-scheduling cannabis.
- Decriminalization in the 1970’s
- The future of medical programs vs. recreational programs and the difference in dosage between products that will be sold in each.
- The cost difference for growing cannabis in different climates within the United States
Brad Slaughter, Co-Founder and President of Nature’s Secret Holdings, joins us to discuss the oncoming issues that cannabis legalization will lead to and to identify the victims that will feel these adverse effects. Brad specializes in business development, marketing, and networking within the Cannabis and CBD industry.. As a long time cannabis and CBD advocate and educator, Brad has had extensive experience in the industry and with fighting for consumer rights within the industry. He previously worked as a CFO for California Weed Blog, a guide to cannabis culture in California and now continues his advocacy for consumers as a board member of the CBD Consumer Protection Task Force and also as a speaker/moderator for CBD Expo.
“It’s not about the profit, it’s about the people”
Audio Editing - Seth Cross - Frontal Lobe Productions
Intro/Outro - Jef Judin
Music - The Master by Flashing Lights
Show notes: Henley Beall
Click on the podcast hosting site you use below to subscribe to this podcast!
Please leave a review if you enjoyed the show, it helps bring in more listeners!