Manage episode 262049851 series 2136806
Mia Scharphie is a career and business strategist, and the founder of Build Yourself. She helps women in design, tech and innovation move from managing the work to setting the agenda. She helps women move past bias and make their industries and workplaces better places for women's talent.
Mia has trained national industry groups like the American Institute of Architects and Americans for the Arts, and works with leadership and staff at global design and innovation companies such as Stantec, Gensler and HOK. She's a former Harvard Innovation Lab resident, ran a research effort on women in social impact design for the Harvard Business School, and was named as one of Impact Design Hub’s Social Impact Design 40 under 40.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why online collaboration is more formal than it should be
- How we will hopefully come out of this pandemic with new virtual ways to collaborate and get things done - but that you can’t learn what it feels like to have the sky as the ceiling in Google Earth
- What we should all be doing to advance our careers during economic high and low times, and actions items to take now
- How to hold onto your career North Star during uncertain times
- The concept of “Umbrella Careers”
For the toolkit that Mia mentions in the episode on finding and approaching mid-career mentors, check out: buildyourselfworkshop.com/designvoicementor